INFORMATION ABOUT THE TANZANIA VISA
About the Visa for Tanzania
The Tanzanian Government launched the Tanzania online visa application in November 2018 to simplify the process of applying and obtaining a tourist visa, also known as Ordinary Visa, for Tanzania and Zanzibar. The Tanzania Visa allows citizens from eligible countries to travel to and within Tanzania and Zanzibar for tourism and leisure purposes, or visiting friends and relatives, for a maximum of 30 or 90 days, depending on nationality.
To obtain a Tanzania Visa applicants are required to complete a simple application form online. Applicants must provide personal details, travel information, and passport data in the application form to receive an approved Tanzania Visa.
Tanzania Visa Length of Authorized Stay and Validity
- The Visa allows its holder to enter Tanzania or Zanzibar on the indicated date on the Approved Visa Grant Notice.
- The Tanzania Visa is valid for 90 days.
- The authorized Length of Stay is indicated on the Approved Visa Grant Notice. Each visit must not exceed 30 days.
- The Tanzania Visa is a single entry visa. The Visa allows one entry to Tanzania or Zanzibar, after entering it is valid to travel between both Tanzania and Zanzibar.
- Citizens of the United States of America can travel to Tanzania and Zanzibar with a multiple-entry visa, valid for 12 months, which allows stays up to 90 days.
Port of Entry
Applicants whose visa applications have been approved are required to enter the United Republic of Tanzania (which includes both Mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar) through one of the five specified Entry Points, which are:
- Julius Nyerere International Airport (JNIA).
- Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA).
- Abeid Amani Karume International Airport (AAKIA).
- Namanga border.
- Tunduma border.
You may also enter Tanzania and Zanzibar via sea.
Purpose of Visit
Foreign nationals can visit Tanzania and Zanzibar for tourism and leisure purposes, and to visit friends, relatives.
Passport guidelines for the Tanzania Visa
Applicants must have a passport from an eligible country valid for a minimum of six (6) months from the intended date of arrival in Tanzania and/or Zanzibar, as well as one free page in the passport to receive a stamp at border entry.
Tanzania Visa for Minors
Minors under the age of 18, who have their own passport are required to apply for their own Tanzania Visa.
Minors included in their parent’s/guardian’s passport can be included in their parent’s/guardian’s visa application, by providing information regarding the minor.
List of countries eligible to apply for a Tanzania online visa
Citizens and nationals from the countries listed below are eligible to apply online for a Tanzania visa. Including the United States, India, the United Kingdom, Burundi, Germany, Italy, China, France, the Netherlands, Israel, Canada, Australia, and Spain.
A citizen with a valid passport from one of the eligible countries in this list can apply online here for a Tanzania Visa
Applicants are required to provide personal information and travel details to complete the application form. This information can be submitted at a later date and does not need to be provided at the time of the application. Applicants will receive an email with a link to provide travel information and supporting documents, required by the Tanzanian government:
- Recent passport-style photo.
- A copy of the biographical page of the current valid passport.
- Copy of the return ticket
Requirements to enter Tanzania
On entry to Tanzania, eligible foreign citizens must present the following:
- A printed copy of the Approved Visa and the Grant Notice Letter sent to the applicant’s inbox
- The Arrival Declaration Form, must be completed and presented upon arrival
- The same passport used for the online application form, valid for 6 months from the date of arrival
Citizens of the following countries must provide a yellow fever vaccination certificate at the port of entry to comply with International health Regulations: Angola, Argentina, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Central African Republic, Colombia, Ecuador, Gabon, French Guiana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Panama, Peru, Sudan, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Togo, Venezuela.
Check Status for the Tanzania Visa Application
Once the applicant has submitted their online application, all visa notifications and updates will be sent by email.
The processing time for a Tanzania visa usually takes 4 business days. In some cases, it may take longer, up to 6 business days.
To check the status of your visa application, please click here
Online Visa Application for Tanzania
To complete the online Tanzania Visa application, applicants are required to have a current passport valid for at least 6 months from intended date of arrival, valid email address, and credit or debit card.
All biographic information provided in the application including given name and surname, marital status, date of birth, and passport number, must appear exactly as they do on the applicant’s passport.
All eligible applicants can click here to complete their Tanzania Visa application online.